problem with Mandrake 10.0

Mike O'Rourke mjoop at curia.op.org
Sat Sep 4 05:54:22 EDT 2004

Alain-Serge Nagni <akenaton at freesurf.ch> 09/04/04 11:28am
>Hello Mike,
>> 1. What does your saslauthd.conf file look like (I don't know where
it
>> is in Mandrake; possibly /usr/local/etc/saslauthd.conf or
>> /etc/saslauthd.conf or somewhere else under /etc)?
>
>here is the contain of the saslauthd file:
>
>		SASL_AUTHMECH=PAM
>		SASL_MECH_OPTIONS=
>		SASLAUTHD_OPTS=

Since you are using PAM, you need to look at the contents of
/etc/pam.d/* (imap, pop,smpt, etc.) to determine the sequence of where
they are looking for login information. For instance, thke a look at
/etc/pam.d/imap. If that does not exist, look at /etc/pam.d/other to
see. They may not even be trying to use sasldb.

>> 2. If you want to use only sasldb for authentication, why use
>> saslauthd? Why not use the auxprop method with the sasldb plugin?
>I'm just doing like an found on web. But if there is a better please
let me
>know.

The PAM mech is good if you want to be able to check passwords against
/etc/passwd (shadow) or from one of several sources (passwd, LDAP, NIS,
etc). If you want to keep all of your IMAP/POP/SMTP users in sasldb
though, change your /etc/imapd.conf entries to use auxprop:

sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb

you could even use:

sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop saslauthd
sasl_auxprop_plugin: sasldb

to first try sasldb and then on a failure check using saslauthd.

Other config files (Sendmail.conf, etc) would need to be changed
accordingly.

Mike.