Paying for developers?

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 14 11:22:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Attila Nagy wrote:

>> http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/replication.html
> There are some problems with that:
> - the code isn't available on that webpage

No, but the code is available to people who want to play with it on the
understanding that they get no sympathy from me if they try and run it on
a production server right now.

> - it changes the mailstore layout, so you cut off yourself if you use that
> instead of the mainstream version

The incompatible change is actually just a single 96 bit value per message
in the cyrus index file (a message UUID value, used to replicate the
single instance store). If a future UUID format was agreed and space was
reserved in current index files, the incompatibility would disappear. That
might be a path to more widespread testing.

> - I guess it is for an older Cyrus, so you cannot easily upgrade

I passed a patch relative to 2.3 CVS on to Rob a few months back. The
replication code is largely orthogonal to the existing code: it only took
me a couple of hours to generate the patch from my existing 2.1.16 code.

> I cannot say anything about its architectural problems, if there are any
> at all.

I consider the code to be a prototype of the "obvious" way to do
application level replication in Cyrus. It works fine for us, but would
clearly require a careful audit before going into more widespread use.

Support for a number of things is missing simply because we have no need
for them right now: seen state handling for shared mail folders, quota
roots other than user.<whatever>, and in 2.2+ mailbox annotation and
virtual domains spring to mind. I don't think that any of these things
would be particularly hard to do, its just a Small Matter of Programming.

I would estimate that I've put in about around 3 to 4 months work on the
current code and that we would be talking about (at least!) several more
man months work between myself and Cyrus developers to get something
properly merged. Thats a fairly substantial undertaking for all involved,
particularly given that we all have other priorities.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.