Cyrus crashed on redundant platform - need better availability?

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Wed Sep 15 15:59:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 02:07:08PM -0400, Ken Murchison wrote:
> David Lang wrote:
>
> >how much are you asking for?
>
> Since this is probably as complex, if not more, as altnamespace, I'd say
> somewhere between $3000-$5000 as an initial estimate.  That's 30-50
> hours at a fairly cheap rate.
>
> If people want to start pledging their support, perhaps enough
> "incentive" can be pooled.  If people don't feel comfortable doing this
> in public, then feel free to send me a private email.

I'm certainly interested in adding some redundancy to our Cyrus
installation.  I'm about to upgrade the hardware to a single Sun
V480 with 4 1200 MHz CPUs and 16 gigs of memory.  The two internal
disks will be mirrored, and contain only the OS files.  Everything
else will be on external RAID arrays.  The next expansion should
add more IMAP storage and provide redundancy in the case of software
or equipment failure.  I'm aware of Murder, but I'm not sure that
it's the best solution for us.

I don't control the funding, but I can recommend something.