stumped: cyrus-imap master hanging w/ "imap[506]: refused connection from ::1"

OpenMacNews cyrus-info.20.openmacnews at spamgourmet.com
Sun Nov 7 16:16:00 EST 2004

hi all,

i've cyrus-imap, cyrus-sasl, postfix and mysql+web-cyradm installed on OSX.

logging is turned on for apache, mysql, postfix & cyrus

when i click on a particular link ('accounts') in web-cyradm, my CPU pegs @ 100%.

here's what (little) i know

(a) the following error in apache error log:

       PHP Notice:  Undefined index:  action in /var/www/WebCyrAdm/index.php on line 111, referer: http://testserver.internal.testdomain.com/webcyradm/index.php?action=editdomain&domain=virtual1.internal.testdomain.com

(b) my CPU monitor rises to 100% utilization

(c) my browser just 'cycles' endlessly

(d) 'top', strangely, shows nothing above ~5% CPU

(e) *no* errors are shown in mysql, postfix or system logs

(f) on execution of the accounts link, i *do* see the following in my cyrus-imap log:

       imap[507]: executed
       imap[506]: refused connection from ::1

now, i'm not certain it's relevant, but cyrus-imap *is* compiled w/ libwrap, and

        /etc/hosts
             127.0.0.1       localhost
             255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
             ::1             localhost
             10.0.0.6        testserver.internal.testdomain.com
and,

        /etc/hosts.allow
             ALL: ::1 127.0.0.1 172.30.11.0/255.255.255.248

(g) in order to reclaim CPU, i have to 'kill -9' the cyrus-imap 'master' (NOT the postfix master ...) process.  originally, i thought it was killing off mysql, but it's apparently correlary?

(h) some of the time -- not 100% reproducibly -- killing off the master process causes something else (dunno yet) to die off as well, such that none of my console processes respond ... e.g., a simple 'ls' does simply nothing.

hard reboot is then required.

this looks like an issue with an attempted/failed connection to the cyrus imapd socket invoked by clicking on the web-cyradm accounts link ... but that's as far as i've drilled down.

this seems to be a many-body problem specific to the combination of webcyradm, postfix and/or cyrus-imap -- as exim + vexim + cyrus-imap were fine w/ *no* socket issues that i noticed.

any ideas where the problem *starts*?

richard