stumped: cyrus-imap master hanging w/ "imap[506]: refused connection from ::1"

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Sun Nov 7 17:21:20 EST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004, OpenMacNews wrote:
> i've cyrus-imap, cyrus-sasl, postfix and mysql+web-cyradm installed on OSX.

Versions, please!

>       imap[507]: executed
>       imap[506]: refused connection from ::1

This is libwrap doing something [in]sane.

>        /etc/hosts.allow
>             ALL: ::1 127.0.0.1 172.30.11.0/255.255.255.248

Does this work at all?  The IPv6 guys in Debian never tried to bust my hide,
so I assume at least Debian's libwrap know not to screw up with IPv6, but I
don't know about OSX...

>From the Debian changelog:
IPv6 support is provided by the 10_usagi-ipv6
and 11_usagi_fix patches, which are tcp_wrappers.usagi-ipv6.patch and
tcp_wrappers.ume-ipv6.patch from the Red Hat package.

So, unless Apple or the BSD* folks (which would be likely, I suppose)
patched their libwrap... you will have to disable it.

> (g) in order to reclaim CPU, i have to 'kill -9' the cyrus-imap 'master'
> (NOT the postfix master ...) process.  originally, i thought it was killing
> off mysql, but it's apparently correlary?

I have seen this on cyrus 2.1, when a child fails too early before doing an
accept(), and no fork limits are set on master.  If they ARE set, you get a
permanently screwed up master that tries to fork that service and never
suceeds, but at least the system doesn't get DoSed.

Cyrus 2.2 may not be suceptible to such problems.

> (h) some of the time -- not 100% reproducibly -- killing off the master
> process causes something else (dunno yet) to die off as well, such that
> none of my console processes respond ... e.g., a simple 'ls' does simply
> nothing.

THIS means something is seriously busted on your operating system setup.

> any ideas where the problem *starts*?

Broken IPv6 support on libwrap and others...

  Henrique Holschuh