POP3 re-downloading mail

Szii szii at sziisoft.com
Mon Nov 8 13:25:20 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sascha Wuestemann" <sascha at killerhippy.de>
To: "Cyrus List" <info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 7:44 AM
Subject: Re: POP3 re-downloading mail

FitzGerald wrote:
> > They are using POP3 and have outlook set to leave messages on the
> > server. Is it possible that Outlook got confused with the mail server
> > change and now somehow can not figure out that it's downloaded emial
> > that's have already been downloaded?
>
> Hi Warrick,
>
> seen information is saved at server side for imap and pop3, too.
> If you have moved the server sided pop3 mailboxes using a mailclient
> tool, this information might have changed, so they have the status "not
> seen" and outlook behaves right. If you have moved them at filesystem
> level their status should not have changed and outlook misbehaves.
>
> cu
> Sascha

I've seen it numerous times where Outlook/OE is stupid and "forgets" its
settings.  Never seen it happen with any mail client except O/OE, and
I've never found a way to stop it.  We had three people on that "leave
messages on server" setting and their "multiple downloads" were never
sync'd and we never could find a corrolation.  (One guy NEVER had
it happen, one was intermittant and one happened fairly regularly...but
never regularly enough for us to pin it down.)

-Mike/Szii