POP3 re-downloading mail

Sascha Wuestemann sascha at killerhippy.de
Mon Nov 8 14:09:16 EST 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 12:44:08PM -0500 or thereabouts, Warrick FitzGerald wrote:
> >seen information is saved at server side for imap and pop3, too.
> >If you have moved the server sided pop3 mailboxes using a mailclient
> >tool, this information might have changed, so they have the status "not
> >seen" and outlook behaves right. If you have moved them at filesystem
> >level their status should not have changed and outlook misbehaves.
> >

> Thanks for the response, but that doesn't make sense (to my feeble mind
> anyway ;-) ).
>
> Let's say you have two POP3 clients one set to leave mail on the server
> for a week and one set to leave mail on the server for a day.
>
> If the one that's leaving thing on the server for a week pick's up mail,
> the other is not effected in any way .. and you're messages are not
> marked as seen in any way. Are you sure POP3 has seen state on the server?

Hi again,

I am no expert and I do not know the correspondig rfcs without looking
them up, but that is what my experience is.

This is what I can remember:
If I (somehow) have downloaded from the pop3 server but not flushed
emails, they stay at the server which I have prooven by telneting to it
and asked the server myself. I had to tell fetchmail the "fetchall"
keyword which is "Fetch all messages wether seen or not" to get them,
too, and not only new, unseen mails.
...I don't know how outlook behaves at such, but this shows pop3 _has_ a
seen state.

cu
Sascha