cyrus.index cyrus.cache cyrus.header lost

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri Nov 19 14:19:57 EST 2004

Daniel Stellwagen wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> got a strange problem here. One customer is using imap with outlook xp
> for mua to a cyrus-2.1.15-35-server . He has a directory called "Sent"
> with Subdirectories. Now he can't see this dir in its mua anymore and
> I figured out that the files cyrus.index, cyrus.header and
> cyrus.cache are gone in this "Sent" dir but still present in the
> subdirs of "Sent".
>
> Does anybody know how that can happen ????

This can happen if the "Sent" folder was removed via IMAP but its subfolders were
not.  "Sent" becomes another regular directory that happens to contain mail folders
beneath it, but isn't itself a mail folder.  Most every MUA when asked to delete a
folder will recursively delete all of the folder's contents as well, but some do
not.  You can test this by creating a new mail folder, creating a subfolder, then
using cyradm to delete the parent mailbox.  If you then list the mailboxes, you'll
see that the parent is gone, but its children still exist.  At that point the parent
directory in the file system will lack the cyrus.* files, but the subdirectories
will still have them.  I remember having to patch an old version of IMP to
recursively delete a folder's contents so that users didn't end up in this situation
because it seems to confuse the heck out of Outlook 2000 at least.

Of course this may not be your issue at all, but it's one possible explanation...