creating mailboxes

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Mar 10 01:14:46 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-09 at 21:26, Ian Beyer wrote:

> I understand this. I need to create INBOXes for my *regular users*, not
> for the mailadm account. cyradm isn't doing that.

Let me make sure I've got the antecedant right--by "that" you mean
cyradm isn't creating INBOXes for regular users?

> Right, cyrus runs as user cyrus, mailadm is the mail administrator account.
>
> How do I get a login to cyradm without having a user account? I'm very
> confused about this. It's got to be an account, but it can't be an
> account. See why I'm confused?

By a "user account" you mean a regular UNIX account, right? The
'mailadm' account _should_ be a regular UNIX account (assuming I
remember correctly that you're using shadow or PAM authentication) with
a regular password set AND you have to be allowing PLAIN or LOGIN SASL
mechs ONLY.  (And you shouldn't create a mailbox for the mailadm user,
but I think you've figured that part out.)

> imapd.conf is pointing to /var/imap for partition-default. My point
> about the "directories" was that they're not in fact directory entries,
> but regular files - presumably something mboxish.

Oh right, I see they're not directories now.  Hm, well, I guess I
haven't been paying close enough attention to understand what's going
on, or something wacky is going on.  They shouldn't be there anyway;
they should be in partition-default, which also is generally
/var/spool/imap--/var/imap or /var/lib/imap is used for other
configuration info.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * * * Good, fast and cheap: Pick all 3! * * * * * * *
*   Naked Ape Consulting                http://nakedape.cc  *