Sieve for shared mailboxes

+archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu +archive.info-cyrus at utdallas.edu
Fri Mar 19 10:50:34 EST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Stephen Grier wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 01:09, Ken Murchison wrote:
> > The biggest issue with sieve opn shared folders is how to use them.  Are
> > they only executed when mail is delivered via LMTP, or are they executed
> > any time a message is inserted into the mailbox?
>
> Isn't it the case that for user-space mailboxes, sieve scripts are only
> applied on delivery via LMTP, and not when a message is copied or
> fileintod it? I don't see why the same behaviour wouldn't be adequate
> for shared mailboxes.

Agreed.

> >                                                   Are sieve scripts
> > inherited by subfolders, etc?
>
> This is effectively the case with user-space mailboxes, although I
> realise this is because sieve scripts are applied to users rather than
> mailboxes. Again, the same behaviour would be appropriate for shared
> mailboxes.

Agreed.

> This might be a bit tricky using IMAP annotations though.

Why?  Do annotations *always* have to be recursive in nature?
I've noticed some of the recent discussions on mta-filter, and there
it seems that message expiration could be folder-specific, and not
necessarily recursive.

(Personally, I wish there was a way to specify that expiration could
either be recursive or not.  I briefly played with something like
that for squat, but I don't know if there's any interest in that, and
I didn't really pursue it.)

> I think for the sort of sieve functionality we need on shared mailboxes
> here, I would be happy to just have lmtpd look for scripts owned by the
> postuser user, and apply that to all mail destined for a shared mailbox.
> Are there any complicating factors in implementing this? I'm looking at
> the deliver function of lmtpd.c, and it appears to be fairly straight
> forward to do this.

I would be anxious about this. Not only do we have a ton of shared
folders, but some see some pretty serious traffic. To have all of
that unconditionally going through one Sieve script worries me.

Also, if it were possible to tie a Sieve script to a folder (any
folder?), perhaps it would be possible to leverage the loginuseacl
imapd.conf setting with timsieved.  That is, if a user had the admin
ACL item on a shared folder, that user would be able to update the
Sieve script on that folder.  I know some of our folks would be
really tickled to have that.  In fact in a few cases the need was so
pressing for that that I just created the "shared" folder under the
"user." hierarchy.

--
Amos
---