Authenticate to IMAP server via Active Directory

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Fri Mar 19 10:10:05 EST 2004

I answered M Wong off-list, but for the benefit of all ...

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:44:40PM -0500, Wong, G. MR   EECS wrote:
> We have not had success with AD authentication.  When a valid AD user
> tries to login via the imap client( we are  using microsoft outlook) we
> get a cryptic "size read failed".  When we use imtest we get a "No
> credentials cache  found" error.  We are indeed clueless would
> appreciate any help with this.

This is the key.  The "size read failed" error mean saslauthd
segfaulted.  I had that problem too.  For me, the problem was
Kerberos-related.  There are two possible cause that I know of : the
keytab must be for service host or imap (I use host) ie
host/your.imap.server at KERBEROS.DOM, and the server name in your keytab
must be the fully qualified hostname of your machine ie the output of
"hostname -f".  At least, that is what I can remember on the top of my
head.

The first thing is to make saslauthd work.  As somebody else pointed,
testsaslauthd may be of help there.

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus