cyrus-imapd 2.1.15 and DB 4.1.25 problems

Matthew Cocker matt at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Jun 13 17:22:56 EDT 2004

Hi

We run a 100 user imapd server (cyrus 2.1.15 and db 4.1.25) which is
having a huge amount of problems with the delivery and tls databases
(both in Berkeley DB) becoming corrupted and killing the mail server. I
have searched the mail list and it appears that this is not an uncommon
problem with solutions being down grade DB version to some thing prior
to 4.1.25 or use skiplist.

Anyway we have had so much fun we are building a new server with
cyrus-imapd 4.2.5. At the moment I am trying to figure out if I just
give up on Berkeley and use skiplist for delivery and tls databases or
try Berkeley DB 4.2.52. With 100 users we are not talking a heavy load
so the performance advantages of BDB over skiplist would not be massive.
I guess I would be interested if anyone has had problems with
cyrus-imapd and BDB 4.2.52. Also if anyone has done any bench marking on
the effect of skiplist vs bdb in real world mail serving.

Cheers
Matt Cocker