mailutil permission denied when setting flags

Andrew J Caird Andrew.Caird at fccc.edu
Thu Jul 1 08:49:17 EDT 2004

Hello all:
  For the record, this turns out to be a mailutil problem, as far as I can tell.
 It appears as though mailutil successfully copies the messages from oldServer
to newServer, but then tries to set the flags on the messages on oldServer,
when it should be doing it on newServer, it just gets mixed up about which
server to talk to.  Fortunately, it has the sense to open oldServer read only,
and that's where the "Permission Denied" message comes from.  Unfortunately,
the mailutil code is less than transparent, so I haven't yet found where the
mix-up happens.
  I'll be asking on the pine mailing list, and digging through the mailutil code
to try to make this work.
  By the way, my reasons for using mailutil for migrations are:
1. It lets me authenticate as admin to move a user's mailbox, so I don't have to
know any passwords other than admin.
2. I can move mailboxes one by one, which I don't think I can do by going to
"copy data, upgrade databases" method described in the documentation.
  If anyone knows of an existing tool that does what I like about mailutil, but
works, I'd certainly be happy to hear about it.
  Thank you.
--
Andrew Caird