MURDER or IMAP proxy solution ?

Greg Pulfer mlnospam at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 08:15:50 EDT 2004

Hi there,

I was reading the latest Cyrus IMAPd 2.2.6 documentation especially this page:

http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/install-murder.html

Now I saw the following phrase:

"Sites which think they need the Murder functionality but do not need a uniform namespace (no shared mailboxes) should consider other IMAP proxy solutions."

This made me wonder if I really need the MURDER functionality... First of all can someone exlain me what is a "uniform namespace (no shared mailboxes)", I am not sure if I need that or not. If I could use a IMAP proxy solution and that would make everything simplier I would go for it. Would I acheive the same horizontal scalability with an IMAP proxy solution as with a MURDER solution ?

Well to explain my case a bit I would like to install a mail architecture for an ISP which currently has approx 200 mailboxes but it will grow and grow and grow, that's why horizontal scalability is needed.

Thanks
Regards