MURDER or IMAP proxy solution ?

Earl R Shannon ershanno at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jul 1 08:55:25 EDT 2004

Hello,

Well, the uniform name space means a couple of things. First, each
user's account has a unique name. Not just on the IMAP server where
their account resides, but across all the IMAP servers that are part
of the MURDER. This allows the accounts to be on any machine in the
MURDER. This allows the MURDER to be referred to by one hostname in
DNS, ie "mail.some.domain" because the murder keeps track of where
things have to go. Whether its for deliver of email or the connection
of a client. It's the client connection part that brings the shared
folders into the mix. Usually a client program or MUA ( Mail User Agent)
is configured with the username/server where the persons account
resides. This gets them to their inbox. But what if an organization
has some shared folders? And what if those shared folders are on another
machine? A second server must be configured in the MUA to allow the
connection to the server where the folders are. If using a MURDER this
second server would not need to be configured in the MUA. The client
program sees one "uniform name space" where all the folders reside with
only configuring ONE name for the email server in the MUA.

Regards,
Earl Shannon