Hardware questions

Jeff Warnica jeffw at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Jan 5 20:04:21 EST 2004

An informal survey was completed about a month ago; results are on the
Wiki at:
http://acs-wiki.andrew.cmu.edu/twiki/bin/view/Cyrus/SampleCyrusHardware

The closest configuration is more then double your user count, and is
runing on a >5 year old Sun workstation, so I think the question isn't
about how powerfully you want your hardware to be, but what level of
quality you want/need it to be. A build it yourself, $1000 box, is
likely far more powerful then you need for 200 users; if you start
talking about hardware redundancy, hot swap drives, PCI, processors,
memory...