Question about some entries in my logs

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jan 5 19:58:35 EST 2004

Jason Williams wrote:

> Evening everyone.
>
> I've been working with cyrus-imapd today, getting familiar with how it
> works. I must say, it is very very cool. I like it a lot.
>
> I should mention, im running FreeBSD 4.9, with cyrus 2.1.15,
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.17, BerkeleyDB-4.1.25.
> I built cyrus out of the ports tree, so I could get a feel for
> everything. I'm planning to build everything by hand, to have more
> control and understand more of the underlying concepts.
>
> Anyway, I was reading the docs on the cyrus web page and was reading the
> part about testing cyrus. I have been able to login and authenticate to
> ensure it is working correctly, but there is a entry in my log that I'm
> not sure about. Here it is:
>
> Jan  5 23:54:39 obsidianbox imapd[8015]: OTP unavailable because can't
> read/write key database /etc/opiekeys: Permission denied
> Jan  5 23:54:43 obsidianbox imapd[8015]: no user in db

This error message is coming from the ndbm database backend for sasldb2.
    If authentication is working, I'm not sure why you would be getting
this message.

> Jan  5 23:54:43 obsidianbox imapd[8015]: login: localhost[::1] testuser
> plaintext
>
> The first line, I figured out by reading the FAQ. I needed to chown
> /etc/opiekeys to the user 'cyrus'. That no long shows up in my logs.
>
> However, the second field is my question. I'm not exactly sure why it is
> appearing.
>
> I have added my testuser to the sasldb2, using the appropriate commands.
>
> Here is additional info for reference:
>
> $ /usr/local/bin/imtest -m login -a testuser localhost

Just for the hell of it, if you try the following, does the error
message go away?

$ /usr/local/bin/imtest -m login -a testuser -u testuser localhost

> S: * OK obsidianbox.courtesy.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.15 server ready
> C: C01 CAPABILITY
> S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
> NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
> THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=NTLM AUTH=OTP
> AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
> S: C01 OK Completed
>

> If there is any other info I can provide to help, let me know.

What do your sasl_* options look like?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127