Question about some entries in my logs

Jason Williams jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com
Mon Jan 5 19:03:34 EST 2004

Evening everyone.

I've been working with cyrus-imapd today, getting familiar with how it
works. I must say, it is very very cool. I like it a lot.

I should mention, im running FreeBSD 4.9, with cyrus 2.1.15,
cyrus-sasl-2.1.17, BerkeleyDB-4.1.25.
I built cyrus out of the ports tree, so I could get a feel for everything.
I'm planning to build everything by hand, to have more control and
understand more of the underlying concepts.

Anyway, I was reading the docs on the cyrus web page and was reading the
part about testing cyrus. I have been able to login and authenticate to
ensure it is working correctly, but there is a entry in my log that I'm not
sure about. Here it is:

Jan  5 23:54:39 obsidianbox imapd[8015]: OTP unavailable because can't
read/write key database /etc/opiekeys: Permission denied
Jan  5 23:54:43 obsidianbox imapd[8015]: no user in db
Jan  5 23:54:43 obsidianbox imapd[8015]: login: localhost[::1] testuser
plaintext

The first line, I figured out by reading the FAQ. I needed to chown
/etc/opiekeys to the user 'cyrus'. That no long shows up in my logs.

However, the second field is my question. I'm not exactly sure why it is
appearing.

I have added my testuser to the sasldb2, using the appropriate commands.

Here is additional info for reference:

$ /usr/local/bin/imtest -m login -a testuser localhost

S: * OK obsidianbox.courtesy.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.1.15 server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE AUTH=NTLM AUTH=OTP
AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
S: C01 OK Completed

If there is any other info I can provide to help, let me know.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,

Jason