imap migration tools

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Thu Jan 8 14:28:42 EST 2004

Hi Kendrick, list,

Kendrick Vargas wrote:

> Basically I want to do a copy from IMAP to IMAP, both servers being cyrus
> - one version 2.1 and the other 2.2. From the searches I ran it seems that
> the general concensus is to use imapcp, however it's homepage seems to
> think it's experimental software and it hasn't been updated since august.
> I don't mind unsupported, but experimental kinda frightens me :-)

I would like to recommend imapsync, which lives at
http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync/dist/
It works great for fully automated mailbox transfers. It creates folders
and copies subscriptions as needed, then drags all the mail across that
isn't on the remote server yet. I've been doing this between Cyrus
servers and from UW-Imap to Cyrus, with mailboxes up to 500MB in size.
Imapsync on a SunBlade 2000 (1GHz) was able to fully saturate a 512kb/s
DSL line. Imapsync is also very actively maintained.

Regards, Paul Boven.