Is Reiserfs better than ext3

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 11:04:51 EST 2004

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 03:46:04PM +0000, mb wrote:
> At 17:54 +0530 Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
>
> >I am having around 2000 users on my cyrus server ( redhat 9.0 )
> >someone told be I should reformat my partition in Reiserfs rather that
> >ext3 and I will get a great perlformance improvement
>
> ..until you get a hardware failure and your entire mail store is toast.
>
> reiserfs is brilliant for some applications (Squid boxes, desktops..), but
> ext3 is reliable (the best fsck in town alone makes it worth it), and for
> your mail server that is surely the most important thing. If you want to
> speed up ext3 look at Linux 2.6.

I can concurr. A year ago a box that I looked after had a hardware failure
(low voltage in the PSU), things started to go wrong with the reiser file
system - I eventually recovered, but many files had a byte of cr*p at their start
and were missing a byte at the end.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org