Is Reiserfs better than ext3

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Fri Jan 9 14:09:50 EST 2004

For what it's worth, I spoke with an employee of Sendmail, Inc. about
eighteen months ago. At the time, for their MUA they were using an old
1.x.something version of Cyrus-imapd that they had been patching and
maintaining for some time, but of course it uses a very similar storage
format to current Cyrus releases. He told me that they always recommend
that their customers use ReiserFS when running Linux.

ext3 is great for reliability, and if your server is powerful enough for
the number of users you have it may not matter. But moving a Cyrus
server from ext3 to ReiserFS or XFS will almost certainly give you some
performance increase.

ext3 in the Linux 2.4 kernel starts bogging down when you have a very
large number of files in a single directory, such as a large Cyrus
mailbox folder. It doesn't support directory indexing like ReiserFS,
JFS, or XFS do, though I think in the Linux 2.6 kernel, directory
indexing is an optional ext3 feature...

-Jules

--
Jules Agee