Using singleinstancestore on a large scale (thousands of recipients)

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Tue Jan 13 11:40:26 EST 2004

Hi,

thanks for all the replies. I need to clarify a few things. First, we use
sendmail as MTA. We *do* use LMTP and not deliver for the MTA. I'm talking
about something different: when we want to to distribute a mail to all
users or all students, we do so on the server itself, not using the MTA.

As you may or may not know, if you pipe a mail to deliver, you can specify
more than one user as recipient on the command line. Apparently deliver
uses LMTP internally.

--On Dienstag, 13. Januar 2004 15:29 Uhr +0100 Kjetil Torgrim Homme
<kjetilho at ifi.uio.no> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 13:02, Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>
>> - can a single inode have 30,000+ links? We're using ext3 as this is the
>> only file system supported by Red Hat.
>
> from /usr/include/linux/ext3_fs.h:
>
> /*
>  * Maximal count of links to a file
>  */
># define EXT3_LINK_MAX           32000
>
> I don't know if Cyrus handles this case properly and makes another
> inode.

Thanks. I suppose I'll just stay below that value.

Earl Shannon wrote:

> We use a perl script to do what we call a "broadcast".
> It loops through and delivers to each individual user.

Separately? In that case singleinstancestore doesn't work, does it?

> I may have made an invalid assumption. The perl script I mentioned
> in my last post runs on the IMAP server itself.

Right, that's the way I want to do it myself.

> No need for an
> MTA to get involved. I assumed the initial poster was doing the
> same.

Correct.

> BTW, deliver is simply a wrapper to lmtpd on the IMAP
> server. A little overhead exec'ing another file, but it makes
> using LMTP easier.

I'm still not sure, though, if it's possible to specify thousands of
recipients this way ...

Cheers, Sebastian Hagedorn
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK