Using singleinstancestore on a large scale (thousands of recipients)

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Tue Jan 13 11:49:14 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 17:00, Earl R Shannon wrote:
> I may have made an invalid assumption. The perl script I mentioned
> in my last post runs on the IMAP server itself. No need for an
> MTA to get involved. I assumed the initial poster was doing the
> same. BTW, deliver is simply a wrapper to lmtpd on the IMAP
> server. A little overhead exec'ing another file, but it makes
> using LMTP easier.

if deliver was a perfect little program, yes.  but it isn't.  if lmtpd
isn't answering, deliver treats this as a PERMANENT failure.  also, the
reason lmtpd gives for rejecting a message is not kept, deliver picks a
reason out of its hat instead, leading to bounces which are very
confusing to the users.

since there is so little incentive to use deliver, no one has bothered
to fix these bugs.  (Cyrus 2.2 may be better.)
--
Kjetil T.