New rpms of Cyrus IMAPd 2.2.3

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Jan 30 12:10:58 EST 2004

> Ok, this makes sense, thanks Mark.  I've worked
> through this when trying to install from source
> (unsuccessful as well till now).
>
> But I still can't get through the howto list.
> Everything seemed ok until step 7.  I started
> saslauthd, but I don't have any file at
> /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd and have had no occasion to

The cyrus-sasl rpms from RedHat don't include /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd. It
will then just use /etc/shadow for auth. I usually put 'MECH=pam' into the
file so saslauthd will use PAM.

> write one.  Does "as needed" mean I should create one,
> and what should it say?
>
> Then I went ahead and tried to start imap with step
> 11, and I get the error: "cyrus-imapd: unrecognized
> service".

Hmm, did you really install the rpms or did you just build them? After
rebuilding from src.rpm, You'll find the compiled packages in
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/. You have to install them with 'rpm -ivh
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/<filename>.rpm'. Building alone doesn't install
them.

Simon