unix hierarchy delimiter

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Jan 30 12:34:30 EST 2004

Joe Thomas wrote:

> 	Thanks so Joe Hrbek [jhrbek at gplsinc.com] I've resolved the issue.
> To follow up, here was my 'lm' and 'lam':
>
> localhost> lm
> INBOX.Drafts (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
> INBOX.Sent (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
> INBOX.Trash (\NonExistent \HasNoChildren)
> user/jpt (\HasChildren)
> user/jpt/Drafts (\HasNoChildren)
> user/jpt/Sent (\HasNoChildren)
> user/jpt/Trash (\HasNoChildren)
> user/s.schahn (\HasChildren)
> user/s.schahn/Trash (\HasNoChildren)
> user/s.schahn/test (\HasNoChildren)

Wait an minute.  Assuming you authenticated to the server as an admin,
you have two sets of user INBOXes (jpt and s.schahm) and 3 shared
folders INBOX.*.

> localhost> lam *
> user/jpt:
>   jpt lrswipcda
> user/jpt/Drafts:
>   jpt lrswipcda
> user/jpt/Sent:
>   jpt lrswipcda
> user/jpt/Trash:
>   jpt lrswipcda
> user/s.schahn:
>   s.schahn lrswipcda
> user/s.schahn/Trash:
>   s.schahn lrswipcda
> user/s.schahn/test:
>   s.schahn lrswipcda
> localhost> lam INBOX*
> localhost> lam INBOX.Drafts
> anyone lrswipcda
> localhost> lam INBOX.Sent
> anyone lrswipcda
> localhost> lam INBOX.Trash
> anyone lrswipcda

The above ACLs are correct, assuming that you have defaultacl set to
lrswipcda

> The original problem is that the 'INBOX.*' for everyone was sitting at the
> top level. Joe Hrbek inquired about the ACL and observed that user cyrus
> needed permissions to the user's mailbox.

I'm confused, the cyrus admin does *not* need access to user mailboxes
for delivery to take place (at least for the INBOX).  What exactly as
you trying to do.

> Mail is now correctly stored in
> the individual mailboxes as opposed to attempting to store everyone's
> incoming/trash/drafts/sent mail in a shared top level.
>
> BTW: I have been using cyradm to create the mailboxes. I will now look into
> why cyrus isn't given permission when the toplevel user mailbox is created.

What toplevel user INBOX?  As I said above, the INBOX.* mailboxes don't
belong to anybody, they are shared and get defaultacl when they are
created.  The user/<userid> mailboxes are the actual INBOXes and have
the owner getting all rights by default.

> Thanks Joe!!!

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127