Murder problem on RHEL 3.0

Jim Levie jim at entrophy-free.net
Mon Feb 16 11:02:04 EST 2004

I'd be most grateful if someone could point out what I'm doing wrong or
haven't done. I'm attempting to set up a simple Murder to play with and
not having any luck at all. The environment looks like:

OS - RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 ES (up to date)
Cyrus-imap-2.2.3 built with:
   CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/kerberos/include ./configure --prefix=/usr \
   --with-auth=unix --without-ucdsnmp --enable-murder
Authentication stored in sasldb2 (sasl-2.1.15-3)

At the moment I'm stuck on trying to get the mupdate master to work.
Based on the instructions in "Installing The Cyrus Murder" my imapd.conf
file looks like:

configdirectory:        /var/imap/conf
partition-default:      /tmp
sasl_pwcheck_method:    auxprop
admins:                 cyrus dunno
mupdate_port:           3905

I've added:

mupdate       cmd="mupdate" -m listen=3905 prefork=1

to SERVICES in a copy of normal.conf. The "cyrus" and "dunno" users
exist in sasldb2 and it is readable by the cyrus user.

Cyrus appears to start/run and I have a running mupdate process that is
listening on 3905 (per lsof). However, if I attempt to test with
'mupdatetest -p 3905 -u cyrus host.domain.tld' I get no response. I can
see that a connection was made with a sniffer but see no data from the
mupdate server after the connection is established.

A backend server, not yet configured to talk to the mupdate server,
works fine using the same build of Cyrus. Obviously there's no point in
proceeding further with the configuration if I can't get the mupdate
server to work.
--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat
   Jim Levie                                 email:jim at entrophy-free.net

---
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus