Question about MUPDATE master mailboxes list

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Tue Feb 17 14:51:32 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:18:05PM -0500, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Etienne Goyer wrote:
>
> > I was under the impression that the mailbox list kept on the MUPDATE
> > master was volatile, that is it was recreated from scratch at each
> > start-up with the mailbox list coming from the backends.
>
> It should be able to be reconstructed at startup of the backends.  That
> said, I'd advise against *relying* on this behavior.

Why do you recommend *against* relying on this behavior ?

For about 500K mailboxes (mailboxes, not accounts), how long should
"ctl_mboxlist -m" from two backends run ?  I know it's impossible to
give exact as it rely on many factors (hardware, network speed, etc),
but I would be satisfied with a rough estimation.

I am asking because, starting with a clean (just did mkimap) configdir
on the mupdate master, it took 8 hours for us with fairly powerful and
otherwise idle machines.

> > I think I found out the hard way that this is *not* the case.  Is this
> > correct ?
>
> It shouldn't be, provided you are running ctl_mboxlist -m at startup of
> the backends.

Well, we do.

On the mupdate master, is it advisable to :

1. have master run "ctl_cyrusdb -r" at START ?

2. have master checkpoint the database with "ctl_cyrusdb -c" as a
regular EVENTS ? (I know I am going to hate myself when you answer this
one ...)

Two more questions.  How long should "ctl_cyrusdb -r" take to recover a
mailboxes.db that was not checkpointed ?  What tool can I use to
diagnose a bad mailboxes.db ?  I would love to do forensic on the
mailboxes.db I think is corrupted to figure out was the problem really
was.

Thank you very much for your answer!

http://www.LinuxQuebec.com       etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
---