Upgrade/reconstruct failures [REPOST]

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Apr 1 14:29:21 EST 2004

Rob Tanner wrote:

> Ken,
>
> Since I'm moving from ESYS to Cyrus, the index/cache files should be
> irrelevant as they use an entirely different naming convention and I
> fully expect to loose the flags in question.  But I tried your
> suggestion anyway without success.  And the problem is not consistent,
> only affecting maybe one third to one half of the mailbox folders.
>
> Also, I can create a new directory under a user and add an empty
> cyrus.header file, and reconstruct -fxr will find the emty file and add
> it and not declare it to have any invalid format.  I can empty out the
> directory claimed to have an invalid format and add an empty
> cyrus.header, and it still fails. Finally, at the unix level, and not
> with cyradm, I can rename the directory of a mailbox, say foo to foo2,
> create an empty foo so I don't get an I/O error, touch
> foo2/cyrus.header, run reconstruct -fx, and the box gets added to the
> mailboxes database without an error.  Just creating the empty
> cyrus.header file in the old mailbox doesn't fix the problem.
>
> I am convinced the problem is with the mailboxes database, but when I
> dump it to stdout, the entries for mailboxes that reconstruct okay and
> those that get an invalid format error look to be identical.

Actually every place that IMAP_MAILBOX_BADFORMAT is returned is in
mailbox.c, so I don't think it is a mailboxes database problem.

> Is there any way to debug what construct is doing and why it's making
> the decision it's making without having to be an expert on the code?

Are you getting any useful info in imapd.log?  You could try strace'ing
reconstruct or running it through a debugger.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus