Executing scripts using sieve

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Thu Apr 1 14:22:17 EST 2004

David Smith wrote:

> Finally got around to playing with sieve, and all my server side
> filtering is now working like a dream however...
>
> I want to setup a sieve rule that will pipe an email sent to a certain
> account to a perl script, I've done a google to see if I can find info
> on this and have hit a blank wall... any help / pointers appreciated
>
> (the plan is to set it up so i can send images from my camera phone to
> an email address and have the images ftp'd to my site...)

CMU Sieve can't be used to pipe messages to programs like you can with
procmail.  Sieve was designed to be simple and to protect
less-than-savvy users from doing silly/stupid things with their mail.  I
have not seen any defined extension to sieve to allow piping to
arbitrary programs.

Scott Russell's suggestion is one way to do what you want.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus