Running reconstruct as cyrus user

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sun Apr 4 12:36:21 EDT 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 00:13, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>

>>My client is Ximian Evolution on SusE 9
>

> Evolution does cache heavily; I use it myself.
>

>> I'm in Mulberry now and both have
>>the same problem. They are listing the messages because the cyrus files
>>still show entries for the messages.
>

> Perhaps 'reconstruct' hasn't done its job for some reason. Were you
> definitely running it as user 'cyrus'?
>

>>The next step is to see if I'm really dealing with a corrupt
>>mailbox, etc. I don't know the IMAP commands :(  so all I can do with
>>imtest is test login, how do you list messages, for instance? The man page
>>seems to only show startup options.
>

> Unfortunately, I don't know much more about that than you. I've usually
> used imtest for login testing and to check what options the server
> advertises.

I'm not an IMAP client expert, but here's what I use when I'm testing
server changes by hand.  Note that the letters a-f used below are the
tags for the command and can be any alphanum string

> If someone would be so kind as to jot down a quick "IMAP command
> summary" for:
> 	listing messages

Not sure what you mean by "listing", but you need to do:

a SELECT <mailbox>

to open a mailbox, which will tell you the number of messages in the
EXISTS response.

> 	retrieving a message's headers

b FETCH <msgno> BODY[HEADER]

> 	retrieving a message

c FETCH <msgno> BODY[]

will give you the entire message

> 	deleting a message

d STORE <msgno> +FLAGS \DELETED

will set the \deleted flag

e EXPUNGE

will actually deleted the message(s)

> 	getting the auth advertising info (eg login options, etc)
> 		from the IMAP server

f CAPABILITY

> I'd be happy to expand it and plonk it into the wiki. Alternately, if I
> ever get time I'll check out the IMAP RFC.
>
> Craig Ringer
>
> ---
> Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus
> Wiki/FAQ: http://cyruswiki.andrew.cmu.edu

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127

Home Page: http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus