cyrus and Spamassassin bayes rules

Moritz Both mb at aldebaran.de
Tue Apr 27 09:58:51 EDT 2004

We used to use bogofilter with the old pop3 system and with cyrus imapd
now we don't have any spam filter so far except the one built into mozilla.

A key question to me is if it is a good idea to share a single spam/ham
keyword database or to have one for every user. This is a bit OT - sorry
  but I think it can help finding the ''correct'' aproach with cyrus.

- Does it basically work to share the database? If users have different
opinions about what is spam and what is not,  wouldn't they work against
each other, feeding messages to the spam filter trying to convince it to
classify messages ''correctly''. This could for example be the case for
delivery error messages caused by worms.

- I would assume it is not the responsibility of the system
administrator to train the global spam filter.

So we'd prefer individual user spam filter databases. This also means
individual places in the file system for the databases - assuming you
don't have unix users for all imap users on the machine.

Maybe we will put the spam filter databases into
/var/lib/bogofilter/user or so, and let it read individual user cyrus
"learn-spam" and "learn-ham" imap folders. What I like from this thread
is the idea of using imap to read the training messages and feed them to
the filter. This also takes care of the question which users exist at
all - we can read this info from the mailbox list using imap if logged
in as an admin user.

This is as far as I have got...

Moritz