Cyrus versus Sun ONE?

Gloria Rom gloriar at library.ucla.edu
Fri Sep 19 19:47:36 EDT 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:
> I suspect the tradeoffs you'll have will be more or less
> similar to any open/closed source product tradeoff -- there's better
> support and more attention to the UI, but it will be harder to fix things
> directly by getting your hands dirty.
>
> You'll also have to deal with the transition.  Then again, if the
> unification of all of their products is to be believed, it may make your
> life easier in the long run.

Rob speaks the truth. Our transition from sendmail and Cyrus IMAP was
eased by having Sun Professional Services help us install it. It's a
big, sprawling thing with incredibly long pathnames and peculiar notions
of where you have to be before you can run a program, and our users are
shocked at how much memory they need in their home computers for the
webmail part. But the server runs fine, and I have no regrets. Contact
me offline for gory details.

--
Gloria Rom
UCLA Library Information Systems