OT: HEADS-UP: viral storm out there

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Sep 19 23:15:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 18:44:24 -0400,
  Mike Mascari <mascarm at mascari.com> wrote:

> In keeping with being off topic, how do people feel about Verisign
> wild-carding the .com and .net domain names so any miskeys
> (www.someunregistereddomain.com) resolve to sitefinder.verisign.com.

They have been a screw up from day 1 when some ex CIA guys used their
connections to get the contract and then proceded to charge premium
prices while doing a terrible job. I am not a big fan of the digital
certificate racket either.

I try to stay as far away from NS and ICANN as I can. I found that
the people running .to have much more user friendly policies, though
I pay a bit more. Their registry is first come first serve. They don't
publish your name, phone number or email address in their whois database.
They also don't like spammers.

    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo at postgresql.org)