Disable leave a copy in cyrus pop

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Oct 10 23:02:08 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-10 at 05:35, Earl R Shannon wrote:

> I would view this as a user education issue. You need to make sure
> that your users are aware of the quota limitations and what they can
> do to remain under quota.

Unless there's a disconnect between my phone tech support and me, I've
found that it seems to be an issue of MUAs (or the OS they run on) that
somehow munges the setting.  Most of my users are too afraid of their
computers to mess with things, although it's possible that the
occurances we do see are the result of one getting adventurous.

> I don't think you are going to be able to do what you suggest very
> easily, if its possible at all. And for finding out, its not a setting
> that would be stored on the IMAP server either. It's an action that
> the client is failing to take, ( ie, delete a message ) that causes
> the mail to build up. You would need to monitor each POP clients
> transaction and see who isn't deleteing mail. And while I do now
> one can monitor IMAP sessions, I'm not sure about POP.

It can be done; cucipop implements a feature that does this:

  -D   Autodelete messages that have been retrieved.  As soon as the QUIT
       command  has  been  received or the connection drops, cucipop will
       behave as if those messages which have been  collected  using  the
       RETR  command  were  also  specified to the DELE command.  Turning
       this option on will violate RFC1939.

Obviously, this is a hack and would almost certainly never be
implemented in Cyrus.  cucipop also has a feature that helps to alert
the user to the problem before the quota is filled (also a hack and also
unlikely to ever go into Cyrus):

  -S   Sabotage  the  UIDL  command.   Cucipop will return different UIDL
       values for every session, hence causing mailclients  that  attempt
       to  leave  mail  on the server to pick up the entire mailbox every
       time.  Turning this option on will violate RFC1939.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * *  Linux Services for Small Businesses  * * * * * *
*       Easy, reliable solutions for small businesses       *
*    Naked Ape Business Server http://nakedape.cc/r/sms     *