Disable leave a copy in cyrus pop

Earl R Shannon ershanno at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Oct 10 08:35:05 EDT 2003

Hello,

I would view this as a user education issue. You need to make sure
that your users are aware of the quota limitations and what they can
do to remain under quota.

I don't think you are going to be able to do what you suggest very
easily, if its possible at all. And for finding out, its not a setting
that would be stored on the IMAP server either. It's an action that
the client is failing to take, ( ie, delete a message ) that causes
the mail to build up. You would need to monitor each POP clients
transaction and see who isn't deleteing mail. And while I do now
one can monitor IMAP sessions, I'm not sure about POP.

All that said, we went just the opposite direction. Since we expect
all of our clients to be using IMAP if they are on the server we don't
want them to download their inbox using POP inadvertantly. So we
disables the delete command. Now, for those of you out there who say
just don't run the POP server, I wish. Unfortunenately back in the
day when we only ran POP part of the login procedure was to check and
see how many new messages were waiting and tell the user. If we don't
report that check, even for the IMAP users where the data is not how
many new messages, but how many are in their inbox, we get flooded with
calls saying its broke. :( Basically its easier to do this than to
reeducate them.

Regards,
Earl Shannon