Postfix can't connect to lmtp

Pascal Loic Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Oct 17 04:24:42 EDT 2003

Zitat von wim at unetix.nl:

> Hai,
> I checked and indeed permissions are set that way, but
> there seems to be different opinions on how to configure postfix.

Add postfix to your cyrus group (which has the cyrus user).
This should do it.

> One document I found stated the following should be added to
> the main.cf:
> mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
> another document stated the following should be added
> to main.cf:
> mailbox_transport = cyrus
> for the same basic setup.

These are different approaches!

> Well , the first gives the , permission denied error,
> the second makes the system behave well and
> mail gets transported, so I take the second is the correct
> entry for main.cf

Differences between the two postfix-transports "lmtp" and "cyrus" (they
are defined in master.cf of your postfix mailer):

"lmtp" uses the (L)ocal (M)ail (T)ransfer (P)rotocol to deliver mails.
Cyrus has an lmtp daemon (lmtpd) to accept mails. This daemon is invoked
at startup by cyrus-master (and can be preforked for high load
environments).

"cyrus" uses a pipe transport, invoking "deliver" for each mail
received. "deliver" itself is a little cyrus programm passing the mail
via lmtp to the lmtpd daemon. In Germany you would say "this is like
going with the church around the village" (mit der Kirche ums Dorf).

IMHO is the first one the more elegant way.

Pascal