Postfix can't connect to lmtp

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Oct 17 04:21:49 EDT 2003

> On Thursday 16 October 2003 18:14, Stephan Buys wrote:
>> Hi Wim,
>>
>> Could it be that your Cyrus (2.1.14) has hanged? I have had this happen
>> couple of times using the Kolab server. (Which you are using eh? ;-)
>>
> Hai,
> Yes, still experimenting with kolab , to little time, to much todo,
> but this is another setup, just postfix+cyrus, just to figure out
> a basic setup , including virtual domains. The problem was not
> cyrus hanging, it was a configuration confusion in postfix main.cf,
> somewhere I read the line:
> mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
> would do it, but it actually , from another source, the line:
> mailbox_transport = cyrus
> is working for postfix-lmtp connection.
> Likely I'm wrong, but I think because master.cf
> contains the line :
> cyrus     unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>   user=cyrus argv=/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver -e -r ${sender} -m ${extension}
> ${user}
> so postfix uses cyrus deliver to transport mail, instead of connecting
> to lmtpd?

The cyrus transport is the old way to do it. LMTP is the recommended way,
you don't have to change master.cf at all.
Another problem was when using LMTP with chrooted postfix. Now, with
postfix 2.x, the recommended (or at least default) way to install postfix
is without chroot, this avoids all the problems with accessing sockets in
the chroot jail.

HTH
Simon