Cyrus aggregator

Thomas Hager duke at sigsegv.at
Tue Oct 21 03:44:29 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 08:25, Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
> I am reading this yet but I am not able to understand the idea
> completely. Can I just install an aggregator on a machine and put it
> infront of my cyrus server ( running a pretty old version 2.0.14 )
no.
an aggregator consists of backend cyrus servers holding the mailboxes,
frontend cyrus servers acting as pop3/imap/sieve/lmtp proxies and
mupdate slaves, and maybe an additional cyrus server acting as the
mupdate master, who keeps track of mailbox locations ( The master can
run on one of the other machines too ).

all of the involved servers have to be murder aware and must be
configured to synchronize their mailboxlist with the mupdate master.

> Can I use it for talking pop to my other pop servers ( like qpopper )
no, as mentioned above.

you can use a frontend like perdition to achieve all of the above.
perdition basically is a pop3/imap proxy, which handles authentication
with the client, and retrieves the actual host of the mailbox via an
ldap/sql/... lookup. it then proxies the connection to the looked-up
host, which may be your old cyrus imapd, a new cyrus imapd or one of
your other servers.

> If there is more documentation on all this, can someone send me links
there's some information in current cyrus imapd distributions in
doc/install-murder.html.

hth,
tom.

--