Cyrus on FreeBSD

Avtar Gill av_gill at sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 3 21:38:23 EST 2003

Jason Williams wrote:
> I was curious if anyone was running Cyrus on a FreeBSD system? I'm
> strongly considering running cyrus for our mail server here and I
> noticed that is currently available via the ports tree for FreeBSD.
>
> I would like to know what your experiences have been: Good? Bad?
> How's your performance and if you have had any big problems?

I've been using Cyrus IMAP since the 2.0 branch on FreeBSD 4.* servers
with great results. I use it on several sites in combination with
Postfix and Amavisd-new. Right now I'm testing the 2.2 version on
several test servers and eventhough that branch is labeled 'beta' it
performs brilliantly. Performance has been great on average servers (1
ghz, 1 gig ram, hardware raid) but you might want to check with others
who manage high traffic sites. Haven't experienced any big problems,
just read the docs and search the mailing list archives.

Good luck.