distro rpm options

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Tue May 6 14:45:17 EDT 2003

Kendrick Vargas wrote:

>I too would like to know. I've been running a 9 server for almost a month
>with postfix 2.x and the latest(ish) cyrus without any problems that we
>can tell. As far as I know, if you do an install without and of the XFree
>stuff or gnome crap or anything, it's just an up to date version of any
>of the previous dists.

We're getting a bit off-topic here, but my experience with RH9 has been
good except for a few compatibility issues with NPTL involving old
libraries/binaries, and what appears to be a memory leak in the X server
(after a few weeks the size of the X server is much larger than under
RH8 even though they start at similar sizes).  I have not yet put it on
a production server, but I do have it on a number of desktops.  There
are the usual issues with perl modules using deprecated interfaces that
have changed in perl 5.8, but that isn't specific to RH9.  Other than
that, performance, stability and compatibility all seem good.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931