Several issues with 2.1.13

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Jun 9 16:38:09 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 13:01, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Wil Cooley wrote:
>
> > 'rehash full' did very strange things; it only created directories of
> > A-Z, none of a-z and my own mailbox information was under 'I/' in both
> > the mailbox spool and the '/var/lib/imap/user' directory.  As a result,
> > I had to disable 'hashimapspool', which Simon's RPMs enabled by default.
>
> This is exactly what is expected in a fulldirhash system.

Okay, but see my other message about imapd not looking in the right
hashed directory.

> Sending the message and logs would be helpful, but I won't promise
> anything.
>
> Even better, create a bug on bugzilla.andrew.cmu.edu.

Will do.  I hadn't noticed the Bugzilla link before.

> No thing between the versions affected this behavior.  You can try turning
> down the poptimeout setting (since most likely if they are getting
> disconnected it is just the idle timeout that is waiting for them).

Will it actually allow me to set it below 10 minutes?

> You can always stop having your people rudely disconnect, or encourage
> them to use IMAP clients.  Using Cyrus as a POP-only server is sort of
> like using a semi-trailer to haul a bag of groceries. ;)

There's no way to clean up the phone lines in rural areas or to force
people to buy good modems (although when they have lots of problems we
recommend that they do).  As I said in my other response to John, I
don't think IMAP would work very well for our customers, and
user-visible changes always cause lots of suffering--the support guy has
to spend hours on the phone when we could have him doing better things
and I have to listen to his complaining.  There are other good reasons
to use Cyrus, though.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
*     Tired of spam and viruses in your e-mail?  Get the     *
* Naked Ape Mail Defender! http://nakedape.cc/r/maildefender *