Several issues with 2.1.13

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Jun 9 16:26:48 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 12:53, John Alton Tamplin wrote:
> If the version of db is different, you can't just expect to use the
> binary database files and logs.  Dumping the contents to a text file,
> wiping the transaction logs, and then reloading them is the safest way.

That was sort of what I figured.

> You should have had A-W, not Z (23 is a prime to give better
> distribution of the hash values between directories) -- full hashing
> chooses a hash directory based on the complete mailbox name rather than
> just the first character.  Traditional hashing tends to overload some
> directories while leaving others almost empty.

Yeah, you're probably right; I just saw a directory full of capital
letters and assumed it was all of them.  I do recall prime-based hash
functions being better.  However, after I did the hash, imapd seemed to
still be using the traditional first-letter-hash.  I had this in my logs
and couldn't open my mailboxes:

Jun  8 17:51:46 rheingold imapd[14729]: IOERROR: opening /home/imap/w/user/wcooley/cyrus.header: No such file or directory

> mbpath will give you the path for the mailbox, or just ls -ld
> /cyrus/*/user/wcooley (for example).  If you have less than a thousand
> mailboxes, there is no need to worry about hashing.  Otherwise, you will
> likely get poor performance with long namei lookups.

> In this day, is there really any good reason to continue using POP?
> There are so many problems with it (including support issues when people
> downloaded their mail to one computer and wonder why they can't access
> it from another) it seems best to retire it.
> When the user calls up complaining about this, that gives you a perfect
> opening to convince them to move to IMAP.

Our customers have a 10MB mail quota which they can fill up pretty
quickly.  We don't want them leaving their stuff on our server, and they
want to be able to have their mail even when they're off-line (I know
there's IMAP sync, but it's questionable how well supported it is, and I
don't really want to try to explain it to customers).

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
*     Tired of spam and viruses in your e-mail?  Get the     *
* Naked Ape Mail Defender! http://nakedape.cc/r/maildefender *