Several issues with 2.1.13

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 9 16:52:25 EDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Wil Cooley wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-06-09 at 13:01, Rob Siemborski wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Wil Cooley wrote:
> >
> > > 'rehash full' did very strange things; it only created directories of
> > > A-Z, none of a-z and my own mailbox information was under 'I/' in both
> > > the mailbox spool and the '/var/lib/imap/user' directory.  As a result,
> > > I had to disable 'hashimapspool', which Simon's RPMs enabled by default.
> >
> > This is exactly what is expected in a fulldirhash system.
>
> Okay, but see my other message about imapd not looking in the right
> hashed directory.

Right, apparently your binaries weren't built to deal with a fulldirhash
system, but you ran the rehash command to use a fulldirhash system.

> > No thing between the versions affected this behavior.  You can try turning
> > down the poptimeout setting (since most likely if they are getting
> > disconnected it is just the idle timeout that is waiting for them).
>
> Will it actually allow me to set it below 10 minutes?

Well, not in the default code base.  RFC 1939 states:

A POP3 server MAY have an inactivity autologout timer. Such a timer MUST
be of at least 10 minutes' duration. The receipt of any command from the
client during that interval should suffice to reset the autologout timer.

I'm not going to recommend you run a non-complient server, but finding the
place to fix this in pop3d.c shouldn't be very hard (Hint: search for
"poptimeout").

> There's no way to clean up the phone lines in rural areas or to force
> people to buy good modems (although when they have lots of problems we
> recommend that they do).

Right, I was joking about that part ;)

-Rob