Several issues with 2.1.13

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Jun 9 17:40:24 EDT 2003

Wil Cooley wrote:

>Got it.   But John's probably right about the kernel keeping the sockets
>open.  But we never had this problem with cucipop (that's what I always
>have to listen to: "We didn't have this problem before blah blah
>blah").  Somehow, even though cucipop locked the mailboxes, it was able
>to operate concurrently on them (somewhat), without stupidly making a
>whole copy, the way UW's pop3d did.

Yikes -- I know nothing about cucipop, but allowing multiple POP clients
to operate on the same mailbox at the same time is begging for problems,
since the protocol doesn't have any of the features that would be needed
to support concurrent access.  Maybe they assumed that when that
happened that it was because the other connection was dropped and they
automatically dropped it (releasing any locks held), but that still
seems very dangerous.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931