Cyrus on Red Hat Enterprise Linux

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:16:49 EDT 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

>> [OT: Yes, I'm aware that there other other Linuces beyond RH, but we're
>> committed to HP hardware which is only certified for RH and SuSE (one of
>> my colleagues has been told by an HP engineer that they support
>> Debian but
>> I've yet to see anything official). We have zero SuSE experience
>> in-house,
>> so RH kind of have us by the danglies...]
>
> That sounds depressingly like you're talking about MS or some custom
> software vendor, not Red Hat. The price of successful business, I guess.

He is referring to HP certifying the software, which I am sure has more
to do with demand than anything devious.  HP isn't going to go to the
trouble to support some version that not many of their customers are
using.  I am not sure why you would fault RedHat for HP not certifying
other distributions besides RedHat and SuSE.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931