Need some advice

John C. Amodeo amodeo at admin.rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 21 10:57:07 EDT 2003

Ken,

>Are you going to continue to use virtual IP addresses?

Yes.  This is the plan.  As the documentation suggests, this is the only way
to connect users to the correct mailbox without having to modify client side
login names...

>Cyrus strips the first part of the FQDN as the local
>name and leaves the rest as the domain.  So if you
>use names like:

Fortunately, this is how our servers are configured...  Every server is
'email.<something>.rutgers.edu'....

>If this doesn't work for you and have a better way
>of determining the domain from the IP address, I'm all ears.

It would be nice to hack DNS so you could use 1 main IP address for the Cyrus
server, have several 'cnames' that pointed to the main server IP, and
depending on which 'cname' the user referenced to establish the connection,
the Cyrus server could determine the domain from...  But I realize that would
require DNS cnames to have a reverse lookup field, and that's just not
feasible :-)

I do have another question on the same topic...  How can you ensure mail is
delivered correctly (via LMTP) if the actual e-mail address is different than
the domain Cyrus uses?

For instance:

email.dep1.rutgers.edu (Cyrus server IP)
dep1.rutgers.edu (Cyrus domain)

But the actual domain users send mail to is something like:

department.rutgers.edu... or
foo.rutgers.edu...

Is this going to be trouble?

Thanks,
-John

Ken Murchison wrote:

> John C. Amodeo wrote:
>
> > Another issue that's come up is that of the actual virtual domain
> > design.  In reality, we have 1 domain, but several sub domains within
> > that domain that make up the different IMAP e-mail servers.  The Cyrus
> > documentation suggests that you can have:
> >
> > mail.example.net
> > mail.example.com
> >
> > ...but does not seem to imply you could have:
> >
> > dep1.example.com
> > dep2.example.com
> >
> > ...as two separate domains and have authentication and mail delivery
> > work properly with this configuration.  Am I misunderstanding the design
> > of the virtual domain support in 2.2.X?  Will Cyrus virtual domains work
> > with what I need to do?
>
> Are you going to continue to use virtual IP addresses?  Cyrus strips the
> first part of the FQDN as the local name and leaves the rest as the
> domain.  So if you use names like:
>
> mail.dep1.example.com
> mail.dep2.example.com
>
> this will give you domains:
>
> dep1.example.com
> dep2.example.com
>
> If this doesn't work for you and have a better way of determining the
> domain from the IP address, I'm all ears.  The most complaints that
> we've had about the virt domains code, is the domain-from-IP half.
>
> --
> Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
> Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
> 716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
> --PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

John C. Amodeo - Associate Director of Information Technology
Faculty of Arts and Sciences -- Computer & Network Operations
732.932.9455-voice 732.932.0013-fax