Could not complete request over quota errors

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 30 23:34:56 EDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Marc Groot Koerkamp wrote:

> What happens when I create a sub of inbox. What quota does apply to that
> sub or does the sub has no quota?
>
> according the rfc:
>    Each mailbox has zero or more implementation-defined named "quota
>    roots".  Each quota root has zero or more resource limits.  All
>    mailboxes that share the same named quota root share the resource
>    limits of the quota root.
>
> that make me think that INBOX and INBOX.Trash share the same named quota
> and therefor raising the quota on inbox.Trash doesn't help. (I could be
> wrong, I never used quotas)

No, some implementations might inheret, others might override (that is, a
new quota root would override all previous roots).  Cyrus does the later.

> But to come back to the QUOTA idea. It's probably not a good idea. Much
> better would be to write an RFC for IMAP MOVE. But that's discussed before
> if I'm correct.

IMAP MOVE is very difficult in IMAP for a variety of reasons.  One is
transactionality,  One is preservation of UIDs (which is important if you
want to undo a move).

Here's a previous thread:

http://www.washington.edu/imap/listarch/current/msg00629.html

-Rob