requiring encryption but not from localhost?

Matt Bernstein mb/cyrus at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Wed Jul 30 04:12:52 EDT 2003

Today we're trying to forbid any access to our imapd without encryption,
so I upped the sasl_minimum_layer to 128, and two things happened: first,
LOGIN still works unencrypted; second, timsieved started refusing logins
from avelsieve (a Squirrelmail plugin).

So.. is there a way to really require encryption from any host except
localhost? If not, could there be please? This would solve both of my
problems!

Matt

[I can fix the second problem by upgrading to PHP 4.3, but (unfortunately)
the box is Debian system and I know of no packages for PHP 4.3 even in
unstable..]