Cyrus IMAP ; case studies, success stories, ... I need them

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Thu Jan 9 12:10:41 EST 2003

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003, Piet Ruyssinck wrote:
> Together with information, I could also use any Cyrus imapd success
> stories that I can get.

We are running the City Hall of Campinas/SP/Brazil (middle-sized city, circa
1M people), using a two machine cluster, one with two cpus running
postfix-tls 2.0.0.1, and another one with a single PIII-800 cpu, and Cyrus
2.1.11 (Debian).

We have about 1000 users right now, and most of them prefer to connect to
cyrus using pop3 (!), but the webmail system (Squirrelmail) likes to use
imap. Usually we have 2-3 simultaneous imap users (99% of them are
squirrelmail sessions), and about 1 pop3 download per second.  The system
handles about 33k new messages/week.

We never had any real problems with the Cyrus setup: not a single one
instance of trouble, actually.  It is a *heavily* patched Cyrus IMAPd,
though (the one in Debian) which is more stable in Linux machines than CMU's
upstream version in Linux machines (IMHO, and AFAIK).

You will have to test your setup against the outcrook clients your users
will be using, and you will need to patch Cyrus 2.1.11 with at least the
seen state flush stuff.

  Henrique Holschuh