Cyrus IMAP ; case studies, success stories, ... I need them

Scott Russell lnxgeek at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 9 12:27:59 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 04:37:21PM +0100, Piet Ruyssinck wrote:
> If you're running Cyrus for a reasonably sized company or institution,
> please let me know, including the hardware you're using, number of
> (simultaneous) users, level of satisfaction, and other useful
> information.  Maybe we could collect this data in some kind of
> registry.

We use Cyrus 2.1.x to support 99 users today with capacity to scale to
500 users in the future. Hardware is IBM xSeries x240 with ServeRAID
4H and plenty of RAID5 storage. The OS is Red Hat 7.3 + errata.

We don't have a client side policy since our user base is 'Linux
smart'. This allows the users to pick clients they feel comfortable
with. We recommend Mozilla, Evolution, and fetchmail however.

In the Feb 2003 LinuxJournal has a feature story on replacing
Exchange. The story is not online as far as I an tell but here are the
resources:

Exchange Server HOWTO
http://www.arrayservices.com/projects/Exchange-HOWTO/

Bynari InsightServer
http://www.bynari.net/insightserver.html

From what I understand Bynari has a produt that works with Outlook
(Express?) to handle the groupware features such as calendars. The
mail store is of course Cyrus IMAPd.

--
  Scott Russell (lnxgeek at us.ibm.com)
  Linux Technology Center, System Admin, RHCE.